Do you suffer from hip or shoulder pain while sleeping? What about the frequent sweating that leaves you feeling uncomfortable after a night rest? If you’re facing these issues, it’s a sign that you need a new mattress. Nectar mattress is an excellent investment for your bedroom that offers excellent comfort and support.
Nectar sleep is a popular online retailer in the United States that is known for its flagship memory foam mattress in a box that is affordable, comfortable, and customized for your body needs. It also has cooling features to regulate body temperature.
With five layers of support, this mattress is truly versatile and can accommodate any sleeping position. The 365-day free trial period is one of a kind which triples the standard length of many online mattress company trial periods.
Will you find great value with Nectar? Read our in-depth Nectar mattress review to find out!
Nectar Mattress Review: Quick Overview
- Medium firm (6)
- 5 layers of ultimate support (Tencel Fiber Cover, Gel Quilting Foam, Gel Memory Foam, Adaptive Hi-Core Foam, and Breathing Base Layer)
- 365-night trial period
- Close confirming
- Forever warranty
- Pressure relief
- Free shipping and returns
- CERTIPUR-US® Certified foam and OEKO-TEX® Certified cover
Who Is This Mattress Best for?
- Memory foam lovers
- All types of sleepers (stomach, back, side, combo)
- People on a budget
- Couples (excellent edge support and good motion isolation)
- People looking for exceptional value, long trial period, and warranty.
Who Won’t Like Nectar?
- Individuals who prefer a firmer mattress
- Folks who dislike the classic memory foam feel
Nectar or Purple Which is Better?
Nectar has a dense memory foam feel because of the memory foam in its top layer. The Purple mattress, on the other hand, has a Hyper-Elastic Polymer material that has a gel-like feel. When it comes to price, Nectar is more affordable compared to Purple models. However, Purple tend to sleep cooler than Nectar. Overall, both mattresses should provide excellent pressure relief.
What Stands Out on The Nectar Mattress
Nectar is an all-foam mattress made of three distinct layers that make the 11 inches thick mattress. The most outstanding feature of the Nectar construction is its 4-inch memory foam top that offers perfect body contouring and sinkage. It is compatible with almost all foundations, including platforms, box springs, divan, adjustable bases, and slatted frames.
Here’s what the mattress is made of:
- Cover (Top Comfort Layer): The cover is made from both cotton and Tencel, an eco-friendly, bed bug resistant material that is a soft and very breathable fabric. In addition, it features an inch of breathable gel memory foam quilted into the cover that gives the bed a splendidly plush feel and reduces heat retention for a good night’s sleep.
- Support Layer: Underneath the cover, you will find 3 inches of memory foam. This material has a firmer feel and slow response to pressure, allowing the body to sink in for great pressure relief. It conforms to your body curves with the right amount of sinkage to support your body weight. Side sleepers could like this because of the extra cushioning it provides at the shoulder and hips.
- Transition Layer: The next layer is the Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam, a dense foam that has a quicker response time to pressure than other layers above it. This layer is designed to support the sleeper weight and ease the transition from the comfort layers into the firmer base below.
- Foundation Layer: At the base, you will find a 6-inch foundation layer made from high-density polyfoam. The company describes it as a High Vegetable Base Super Core as it provides support to the sleeper and creates a sturdy foundation to the mattress.
If you want, you can purchase a foundation designed and customized by Nectar through the company’s website. The product is covered by a Forever Warranty.
Now that you know everything about the Nectar construction let’s look at the firmness and feel.
This is my favorite part. To find out how comfortable the mattress feels, I started by applying some light pressure on the top layer. Surprisingly, I could feel my hand sinking into the Nectar’s gentle foam and the thick foams contouring around my fingers. Plus, it offers the right sinkage, enough for ultimate comfort.
After laying on it for a night, I realized that it offers the right firmness to ensure you wake up feeling relaxed. This can prove further appealing for those who carry a lot of weight, including stomach sleepers that want something firmer in a mattress.
Personally, I gave the Nectar a firmness rating of 6.5/10 as I found its dense memory layers provided the exact pressure relief I was looking for. The material contours perfectly with the body curves, providing the right sinkage to ensure you sleep comfortable and cool throughout the night.
Nectar has also included an indentation load deflection, a number that represents firmness –12 indicates it’s very plush and 50 shows that it’s very foam. From its somewhat unique memory foam feel, I can say that the Nectar Mattress is around medium to medium-firm in terms of firmness. When you consider all factors, I can say that the mattress provides a good balance between pressure relief and support.
For some of us who share a bed with a partner, it can be difficult to sleep when they keep moving around or getting in and out of bed. For this reason, motion isolation is something that you need to keep in mind.
Memory foam mattresses usually counteract motion transfer very well. I was not surprised by Nectar’s ability to keep it minimal. During my tests, I dropped a 10-pound medicine ball from varying heights (6 inches and 12 inches) to determine the disturbance it caused. The result was the bigger the height, the more the disturbance.
In this case, each drop symbolizes a different movement that you may experience while sharing a bed with a partner, that is tossing around (6 inches) and getting in and out of bed (12 inches).
This shows how it’s pretty easy to move around, and they demonstrate great motion transfer capabilities. The dense memory foam layers act to absorb motion well to minimize the disturbance when your partner tosses and turns at night.
While memory foam offers enough sinkage when you sit near the edge, it eliminates the feeling of falling off the mattress. Similarly, when you lie down, you don’t feel like you’re going to roll off the next minute.
Some of the all-foam products I have had before were not that impressive as I could feel the baseboards of my frame beneath when I sat down forcefully. Nectar provides the right support with minimal compression when I sit on the edge. This is where edge support is lacking the most.
When you have a mattress with less compression on the edges, it’s not only easy to fold it while sitting on the edge, but you feel much more comfortable switching position and sleep near the edge without falling off.
- Certification: The foams are CertiPUR-US® Certified (within safe limits of formaldehyde, ozone depleters, and heavy metals such as lead and mercury). The cover is OEKO-TEX® Certified (checked by an independent textile testing system for harmful chemicals). This means that the mattress is eco-friendly.
- Trial Period: Nectar offers an impressive 365-night trial period to try out the product. This is a risk-free trial, so if you’re not satisfied with the result, you can return it and claim a full refund.
- Warranty: Nectar further includes a Forever Warranty on the mattress. In this case between 1-10 years, Nectar will replace your mattress if it has defects, and if it’s over 10 years, Nectar will either repair or recall the mattress, all cost included.
- Shipping: Nectar ships the product for free within the USA to Alaska, Hawaii, and other U.S. Territories.
- Unboxing: The mattress will be delivered to your specified location properly rolled and compressed in a protective bag. Once you unbox it, unroll, and let it rest and fully expand for approximately 24 – 38 hours before sleeping on it.
- Returns: If you don’t like the product within the trial period, you can return it. Contact Nectar’s customer care department, and they will arrange pickup. Don’t worry about putting it back in the box or paying for return shipping. The company got it covered.
Nectar Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Prices (King, Queen, Twin, etc.)
If you decide to get the Nectar mattress, the size and dimensions are outlined below.
- Twin – 39” x 75”
- Twin XL – 39” x 80”
- Full – 54” x 75”
- Queen – 60” x 80”
- King – 76” x 80”
- Cal King – 72” x 84”
The most interesting thing about Nectar foundation is the price tag on their mattresses. The bed is relatively cheaper than its counterparts with a margin of $100 to $200, which makes it an affordable memory foam mattress for most customers. The company further includes two free pillows once you purchase a new mattress.
Does Your Weight Affect the Mattress?
When it comes to shopping for a mattress, weight is always a subject that many struggles with. Most reviews are written with the average sized individual (weighing between 150 to 250 lb) in mind, but no two individual have the same weight, so things can be slightly different for individual who fall beyond this range. So, I would strongly suggest you consider your body weight before you buy.
For heavy people (weighing 250+ lb), most beds may feel a little bit softer because they tend to put a considerable amount of pressure on a mattress and tend to sink into the top layers of the bed than an average-sized person.
Lighter people (weighing 150 lb and below) may feel like most beds are a little firmer than the heavy folks. This is because average people don’t place much pressure on the mattress, so they will tend to rest on the top part of the mattress instead of sink into it.
Nectar is a bed-in-a-box designed to provide the right firmness. For this reason, heavy people will enjoy sleeping on it compared to the lighter folks. But if you prefer a plusher option, you may consider shopping around for a better fit. Nectar further offers the industry’s leading sleep trial. So, if you’re lightweight, there are many excellent qualities to take advantage of with this product.
If you’re not sure about the firmness you need, it never hurts to try! Plus, you get a full year to test and return it for money back.
Is Nectar Ideal for all Sleeping Positions?
Yes! Nectar design can accommodate all sleeping positions.
People who sleep on the side will tend to sink into the bed slowly, and the topmost layers do a great job in cradling your shoulders and hips to ensure you don’t wake up feeling like you slept in a pit. The bed also provides the right pressure relief for a good night’s sleep.
Back and stomach sleepers prefer a firmer mattress, so Nectar will automatically fit the description. If you’re an active person and prefer a medium firm bed or plush option for quick recovery, you can check our detailed bear mattress review.
The only major concern we would highlight is for small or petite people who might not get the same sinkage as the heavy people to enjoy the pressure relief offered by foam layers. If this is the case, you might want to shop for a softer and plusher mattress.
Overall, Nectar is seen to be a perfect choice for all types of sleepers.
Small, Average-size, or Heavy People. Who will Like it?
All of the above. Nectar is probably a great pick for average to petite sized people. As mentioned before, average people (150 lb) will find the bed quite accommodating and supportive and without too much sinking. Smaller individuals will love the bed, but it will be a bit firmer for individuals whose weight is below 150 lb.
Is Nectar Mattress a Good Choice for Couples?
When it comes to the right mattress, couples or people who share a bed with a partner should consider two key factors; edge support and motion isolation.
Interestingly enough, Nectar scores high in both categories.
With a partner who is regularly tossing and turning at night, this bed does a great job at absorbing the motion and killing any form of disturbance while sleeping.
The Nectar further provides excellent edge support. So, when you sit on the edge, the foam doesn’t compress too much to a point you feel as if you’re going to fall off the bed.
Is There Off-Gassing Smell?
Fresh foams often have an off-gassing process when unboxing. Nectar indicates that any of the smells come from being vacuum packed. You can expect the scent to dissipate within 24 hours of unpacking the Nectar mattress.
It’s often recommended that you open the mattress in the morning if possible, to allow a day or two to breathe before sleeping on it. You may also open the windows for several hours. Eventually, the smell will go away.
How Long Do Nectar Mattress Last?
About 7-8 years. The high-density poly foam material on Nectar mattress is built to withstand greater weight pressure and provide long-term support. Given its construction, we expect the Nectar mattress to last for at least seven years. Nectar further offers a lifetime warranty for their mattress, making it a durable option.
So far, the biggest Nectar complaints I have come across are the long wait times due to the high demand of the mattress. The product is smartly vacuum packaged for efficient shipping. Upon arrival, unroll it, and spread it to remove any smell. In my opinion, the product is well worth the wait.
Are Nectar Mattresses Safe?
Nectar is CertiPUR certified, which makes it eco-friendly. It features a Tencel cover and a memory foam top made of vegetable-based polyurethane layers that meet rigorous standards for content, emission, performance, and durability. All polyurethane foams are tested two times in the first year and re-certified once a year thereafter.
Do I Need a Mattress Pad or Protector?
Whether to include a mattress pad or not is up to you. While it’s not a must to add a mattress protector on Nectar mattress, it’s never a bad idea to consider buying a quality mattress pad to increase the durability of the mattress. It will also help prevent accidental stains from pets or children using the product.
If I Don’t Like it, How Do I Return It?
You don’t like the product, it’s easy to return it. Nectar provides a 365-day home trial period, and if you don’t like the product you can simply contact the customer service department, and they will arrange pickup of the mattress. Plus, you get 100 percent money back within that period.
Overall, from the Nectar mattress review, we can say that the bed is an excellent sleep solution for different sleep styles thanks to its slightly firmer qualities. It’s also an excellent choice to consider for those who spend a lot of time sitting or lying on the edge as it provides the right edge support you need.
For the money, this is the best all-foam mattress I have reviewed. It provides a generous trial period comprised of a full year, with a full money-back guarantee if it doesn’t work for you.
I believe that Nectar has all the qualities you would want in a memory foam mattress.